Thursday, January 24, 2008

R.I.P. Yesterday



There are issues that you have dealt with in the past that seem to reappear for you to have to deal with them time and again. Toward the end of last year I had one and again yesterday. Both matters I dealt with in my own way and with I thought was honor and respect. Yesterday I was brought back to a situation that I had thought a closed chapter in my life and was summoned back into it because of actions others had taken and drew me into. I had not asked for it, but was privy to private information that I should never had seen. To my own detriment I made the originator aware that I had seen it and another implicated party. I did so to deal with the matter without doing so behind anyone’s back and to give a platform for me to object to the information I received.

I respect that the originator of the information was betrayed in confidence but could not disrespect them by not informing them that I had knowledge of it. As it involved another, I made them aware of the letter and my reply to it. In the letter I objected to reference of another and myself being involved in a matter that had happened over a year ago and brining it to relevance to a recent occurrence, especially as it had no relation to the topic in question. I defended the other mentioned with me as information about them was being given freely to the recipient of the letter, Information that had no relevance and off topic. Even if it was, as claimed by the originator, public knowledge it had no relevance in being repeated and was an assumption on the behalf of the originator that the recipient knew. To me it was akin to slander.

All of which has put me in bad tidings with the other I have mentioned for drawing them back to the issue and giving them ample reason to think that the matter, dealt with over a year ago, was never dealt with at all. I respect that all parties have reason to be hurt because of my actions but I was caught between saying nothing and being deceitful or doing something and making the originator aware of my objections and the recipient aware that I did not agree with their confidence betrayal. The matter between the originator and the recipient is closed but with the other has ended tragically.

To that person I can only say that I dealt with what I had received because you are dear to me and took objection to the slander implied on your character. If my objections and manner in which I have dealt with anything have caused offence to you, I can only publicly give you my most sincerest of apologies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Mr. Cellophane,

There are always going to be situations when people are going to act, in what they believe, is someone’s best interest. If what you have said is true, then I it is admirable that you have been able to recognize that all parties have been informed to your actions. To do other, is to be deceitful and if your motives are honorable, then what you have portrayed is well done.

I also appreciate the cleverness to be able to openly present a situation with enough detail to show a reader a situation without identity compromise. That has to be the best bit about the post. I also like that you knew the consequence of your actions prior to initiation your action and were taking full responsibility for them.

I know how difficult it is to be “privy to private information that I should never had seen”. To act on such information is always going to require exposure of knowledge and that parties are going to be offended.

Mr. Cellophane said...

Devil’s Advocate,

Thank you for your comments.