Saturday, April 5, 2008

There Is No Such Thing as Secret Men’s Business.

Next week is my brother’s buck’s party and his best man has organized it with my brother’s help. They had planned that there would be a stripper there and there was no secret made of the fact. My brother rang me today and informed me that his bride to be has taken offence to this and has issued an ultimatum “There is to be no stripper of there will be no wedding”.

I don’t care if there is one there or not as I am going for my brother. What I have taken offence too is the ultimatum. I am appalled that the bride to be is trying to assert her dominance over him and take control of the proceedings. Especially when she had been informed the whole time of the plans and no such courtesy has been extended about her hen’s night.

Having worked in the wedding industry, I can say that, on the whole, buck’s parties are quite tame affairs as compared to hen’s nights. Perhaps my brother’s fiancée would prefer that we have a tea party with scones. I know that she has a night out planned with the girls and no details other than that are forthcoming.

Which brings me to weddings in general which are all about the bride. The groom is nothing more than the money bags that stands there and pays for some woman to live a fairytale for a day. In the case of my brother, it is she that has the final say on all the plans and it is typical of most weddings. The one day that my brother gets to celebrate with friends and family in a manner in which he has chosen is now too marred by her dominance.

Enough is enough. The writing is on the wall for my brother and if he cannot see that he is going to be under the thumb of a control freak for the rest of his married days then I have the perfect wedding gift for you. A gelding knife.

No comments: