Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Food of the Gods

There was a B grade movie I saw when I was a kid about a storm that uncovers an ooze form the ground that was eaten by vermin and made them grow into giants. So the bulk of the movie was about these giant rats going around eating everything. Then a storm happened to hit my town and I was made to feel that life was imitating art.

I am not normally one that eats a lot of fast food but my dinner preparations were halted by a storm and subsequent blackout. There in a dark house and with hungry people I went out to try and find something for them to eat. It seemed that the only thing around was the fast food places. Why is it that such place’s have backup generators as if prepared for such eventuation’s? It was like the ooze form the movie being uncovered by the storm.

So I decided that this would be one of the rare occasions that I would have this food. It was to be nothing more than a “stomach filler” till such time the power was restored and I could continue to cook my own meals. So I look my place in line behind two young girls that were already at the counter. Like most young people they were taking their time deciding what it was they wanted. But then the group in front of me grew. First they were joined by another young person and then tree more entered with what seemed to be two minders. Now the first two had the money to pay for their order, the subsequent group just jumped the line and stood in front of me with no regard for the line that was behind me. The other youths had the normal indecision but put their orders through to the girl serving at the counter. Just when you thought the ordering was done and the line could move on, the minders ordered. This held up the poor girl at the counter even more and while the queue behind me grew.

It was at this point another register opened and being next in line I got served. I had been waiting in line for nearly twenty five minutes now so I knew what I wanted to order in reality I knew only seconds after reading the menus. A simple order given and off the girl went to fill it. These two minders grew irate at the fact that my order seemed to be being filled faster than theirs. It was not that the case that they were chopping and changing their order and conferring with each other on what would be the healthier choices to make, it was not the fact that they had ordered custom menu options that had to be made or procrastinating over which diet drink was to accompany their meal. I had been whole heartedly been transported into that “B” grade movie I mentioned. I had found the giant rats.

With venom they started to abuse the girl that was serving me, stating that they were there “first” and that their order had not been received yet. If they had only bothered to look beyond the first row of bay marries they would have seen their order being made. But not satisfied that they were still waiting, or that their order was more like calculus to fill, they had the gall to say that they were there “first”. Full of their own self importance they started to abuse the girl serving me, and the poor girl could only say in her defense that she didn’t take their order and was working on mine.

It was at this point that I had had enough. In the movie the rats finally get destroyed by the characters in the film destroying a dam and drowning them. These two “Rats” had just destroyed the dam of patients and unleashed a torrent of verbal Karma. I spoke up:

“Fist of all you were not here first, I was. You jumped the queue without any regard to who else was standing in line. You ordered custom items that you took ages to decide on only making us wait longer to be served. If you bothered to open your eyes you can see your order being made by the girl that served you in the back. Now because I made a simple order and it is being filled by someone else you want to attack her because your majesties are not being served to your satisfaction. Grow up, get over yourselves and your petty self importance”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great comparison to that movie, looks like you are an unloved character as there are no links and no comments. Hmm maybe you are like me and we need to hang out and get a beer?

Mr. Cellophane said...

Devil's Advocate, I am glad that you appeciated my simily and tank you for taking the time to comment.