Saturday, April 7, 2007

We’re Not All The Same

This I have decided is the unified mantra of all women to prove that they are all individuals. It is ironic that they conform to the same words to prove individuality. It is also interesting to note when it is evoked. It is usually cried when an example of the sisterhood has not met with favor. Then, almost without taking pause to breath, the second mantra is cried “All men are bastards”.

I say this because of the reaction I got from my last blog. I take it as a form of success that my point has been driven home. Do I believe that not all women are the same? The simple answer is yes. By no stretch am I a misogynist, I pray that they are not all the same. From a male perspective I am used to the constant branding and white washing that comes with the sex. If common perceptions are to be believed, then I am a selfish, self-centered being who acts without reason to fulfill my own meaningless desires. I am the cause for all violence and am a scheming, and skillful liar.

With this I have no sensitivity or appreciation for beauty. I have no concept of the word love and that I believe the world revolves around me. What a load of “hogwash”, my efforts to show that the same distasteful traits exist in both sexes has been met with the mantra already stated.

So here is the point, if I can appreciate that not all women are the same then why do these brands given to me by virtue of my sex still apply. If I can appreciate that both women and men are individuals, it seems a little stretch that women can appreciate the same in males. We are not all “bastards”, romance is something that males indulge in. Seeing the beauty in the little things is an indulgence that is left to us. Using the smallest of resources we endeavor to make the seemingly ordinary, extraordinary. We do so by taking the risk to show that we have a gentle side and an appreciation of the world around us. Risking our perceived masculinity and is shown to someone we have trust in. Making it almost a cloak and dagger exercise. We risk the perception of being branded by that detestable label of not being masculine. Though the male brand contains some distasteful generalizations, it is the only one we have.

5 comments:

novella said...

I am glad that there are men in the world! Could you imagine a world just filled with women? I happen to be a woman and I tell you, the state of the male in this world saddens me. I want men to be men. I detest how confused men have become. Of course, we are different. But just because we have physical differences, it doesn't mean that one sex does not feel any differently than the other one.

I, also, am a sucker for "perceived" masculinity. The simple fact is, that masculinity turns me on along with sudden insights of softness. It almost makes men more beautiful, that they can have such tenderness under their hardness.

I do wonder about the type of women you are around. Personally, any woman that says "All men are bastards" are not even worth having a good debate with. Really, they are not even debating, they are just inciting you into being angry with a nonarguement. That is such a canned statement, "All men are bastards"??? It is like saying "All women are whores"! Neither is true, so why bother!

Just your thoughts make me want to kiss you. Don't you see, this world is like men, hard with moments of softness. It makes one appreciate life and true beauty.

Mr. Cellophane said...

Novella,

With so few comments to my blogging I was begining to wonder if they were read at all let alone have the ability to inspire such a well constucted comment.

Even if you reply had not been so complementary, I am in awe of how well thought out it is. I thank you for your comment and the time you took to reply.

The observations I made on women around me are not not always negative. I was trying to make a point on how acceptable it was to mock a male and expect him to wear it on the chin as a trait of "percieved" masculinity.

Your comments on a mans Hardness verses his softness is a theme of a blog I am working on. I look forward to future comments from you.

Anonymous said...

Dear novella,
Yep he's an amazing man, Mr Cellophane, and an amazing kisser. Honestly four hours of it and i was hooked, line, sinker and all.
You couldn't find a more upstanding sensitive man who is as tough as bricks when he needs to be and an absolute gentleman all of the time.
Baby your the best xox

Mr. Cellophane said...

Kate you are the exception to eveything I rant about. You are the most beautiful person I know.

novella said...

Mr. Cellophane,
I am not a blog reader and it was only by accident that I ended up on your blog site. Truthfully, I do not recall how I ended up here because the evening had suddenly become those very early morning hours that make one think, "Oh, I need to get to bed"! Once I read your blog on "We're not all the Same" I had to read the others. It is your style of writing that intigued me and made me think that you are as I. Many thoughts are trapped inside swirling into hundreds of idea that plague you once you head hits the pillow. I am sure that you examine every possible scenario from all sides. This is what I pulled from you writing and I had to respond because I felt what a waste it would be for someone who thinks as you do, to have such an opinion on women. Especially, since I sensed that you have that loneliness inside that seems endless, that is still there even if you are surrounded by people, consumed in circular conversations that explain nothing.

I do look forward to reading more of your blogs!

Also, Kate, you are lucky for four hours of kissing must truly be a record! It is true then, Mr. Cellophane does understand the nuances of romance! I refuse to be envious of your great fortune though! Envy rots the soul.